Monday, September 22, 2008

JumpStart - version 0.5a2

New version of JumpStart is available.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8914. If the site does not show New Tab JumpStart 0.5a2 in the name of the add-on then check out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/8914; sometimes it takes them some time to refresh it, but oddly it shows up in the list of all versions.
Some new stuff there, some fixes too, here is the list off top of my head:
Thumbnails are now clickable.
Delayed thumbnail update - refresh of the thumbnails is initiated about 1 minute after
the browser is started.
Recently closed list fixed and improved, now it shows closed tabs as they happen.
Added some basic preferences
Gmail support - there were issues with Gmail in previous version so it was filtered out, now is showing OK in thumbnails
Support for Firefox 3.1a1
Fixed problem with new window opened from JavaScript
Fixed unicode problem with extension's cache file
Thumbnail zoom - new feature, see screen shots - it has to be turned on from the add-on options.
Lots of other minor tweaks and improved quality.

I created discussion group for the extension where you can post your feedbacks, suggestions, report issues, they are all very much appreciated. The thread regarding the current version is there too so please let me know how do you find this version.
Next version is to be expected in two weeks time, I'll be blogging on what's planned for it soon, so stay tuned.

And now screen shots:



This looks similar to the previous version. But here is some noticeable difference:



It is a kind of zoom, so the thumbnail is better seen. It is turned off by default, you can turn it on by going to menu: Tools -> Add-ons, click Options button of the New Tab JumpStart add-on, check Zoom Thumbs option on the dialog and press OK. Simple :) Here is the previous sentence but in picture:



I'll probably make it by default turned on from the next version unless I get really bad feedback :) This is a step forward to make additional changes in future - more thumbs, more options, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Great add-on! Works perfectly, indeed imitates Google quick dial very well. I have one comment to make however... I find the logo a bit in the way, too present. To me it attracts too much attention whereas it's all about quickly finding most visited pages, bookmarks etc. I personally don't like don't like the logo very uch. If it's just me, don't bother. But if others feel the same, I hope you consider changing it.

    Anyway.... great add on! Like it,

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. @huub
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it. I'll do something about logo in coming weeks, so stay tuned.

    Cheers,
    Mihailo

    ReplyDelete