Wednesday, September 17, 2008

JumpStart your web experience

New add-on available for Firefox - New Tab JumpStart. When you open a new tab you will get immediate access to your most frequently used sites, bookmarks, closed tabs, history search. Similar to Google's Chrome new tab feature.
Here are some screen shots:





Features are:
- Preview of your most frequently accessed sites (it has delayed load and thumbnails caching)
- Latest bookmarks
- List of recently closed tabs
- Search your history
All this on opening empty tab.

This is still fresh and thus still needs you to login to add-on site to download it. It is work in progress and expect improvements soon. As soon as I have code in good enough shape I will publish it on Codeplex.

Of course all feedback and comments welcome.


* UPDATE *
I have just got feedback that with Tab Mix Plus add-on the new tab is not showing. Tab Mix Plus is overriding some browser events that JumpStart is using. So if you wish both add-ons to peacefully coexist setup Tab Mix Plus to open: chrome://jumpstart/content/tabView.xul on new tab. Go to Tools -> Tab Mix Plus Options, here's the screen shot of what to do:


After that JumpStart works as it should.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mihalo, thanks for putting together JumpStart, thought you might like to know that the 'most visited' thumbnails and links don't work at all in ffx 3.1b1pre

    Cheers, Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. @neilphillips.com

    Thanks for the feedback, I'll look at into it. I think I set supported versions to be 3.0 - 3.0.* since I had no time to try it on 3.1*

    I'm planning on lots of improvements in next couple of weeks so stay tuned.

    All feedback much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mihailo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man this is really cool. Wait I will twitter this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I Like you plugin but I was wondering if it would be possible to make the pictures the link instead of the text ?? That would be more User friendly ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @nicki
    Hi already done that :)
    I'll make new version available today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @mihalio Great I am looking forward to get the new version later then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please make something like this to Internet Explorer ^^

    if, mail me at

    Nikolai AT Hegelstad DOT net

    ReplyDelete